Thursday, November 21, 2013

Thankful

The sound of the dishwasher...the dim Christmas lights reflected in the window panes...one thousand gifts devotional...markers astray on our kitchen table...our Canon...math pages...d.coffee...a warm home...a corner lot....kittens...family waiting....running/walking time outdoors...food shared...payday...a pediatrician's knowledge...a turkey decorated.....God's open arms when we fall apart (song on the radio this morning)....today's simple moments....

After an unexpected five day weekend home, you returned to preschool today having been fever free for 48 hours. Luckily, the hand, foot, and mouth virus that you were diagnosed with on Tuesday was mild and we didn't see sores on your hands and feet---or more in your mouth! Wednesday, you were stir crazy waiting to get out and return back to preschool. "Mommy, don't forget to come and pick me up!?!" 

As if...I would never forget to pick you up. I look around me and you are what I'm most thankful for. You are the most important aspect of my day. The unexpected moments of love and tenderness that you show. What a gift that God gave me when he called me to be your mother! Most thankful little one....

When I picked you up from preschool, you searched the halls for Daddy. "I wanted Daddy to come pick me up!" But it was me.... After your initial statement, you gave in and were ready to share your day with me....playing outside in the leaf piles with your kittens---and especially with the brown eyed kitten that resembles Princess Girl. You'd cover her in leaves and she'd pop her head out and pulse her little paws against the falling leaves you'd cascade upon her. You giggled in delight!

Five minutes before nap time, you dress like Snow White and beg to watch the movie so that you can act out Snow White...."Mommy, I need to watch it so that I can know what she does." So....somewhere I remember reading that mommies were supposed to say yes as much as they say no so we opted for movie time on the couch...one...two...three bowls of cereal and two cups of milk later and you were ready to work at the kitchen table with Mommy. You have yet to finish an entire move at home. You're super busy moving from one task to another. 

So we worked on Kindergarten readiness skills...with each curve and straight line of your numbers, I was reminded how important a teacher's work is to each student they are entrusted to..I was reminded of a little thank you note too that your teacher Ms. Betsy sent home with me. Her note said, "Litsa, I just wanted you to know how much I appreciate all the items you have sent for our class pretend center. It was somewhat lacking but thanks to you it has grown by leaps and bounds! Also, I wanted you to know I'm so glad Sophia is in my class. She is a very loving and special child and I've come to love her so. She is always ready to help me with anything I ask her to do. Thank you for sharing her with me during this precious time of her life. With love, Betsy Oh! Yes, one more thing please share the ginger cookie recipe. They are absolutely delicious!" 

THANKFUL for one little FIVE year old's kindergarten readiness skills!
Thankful for these illustrations that liter our home! Love finding them!

For this note I was thankful too....and the tenderness of your face at the dinner table when I told you that the little black kitten would be going home tomorrow. You looked at Daddy and swallowed little tears keeping your eyes dry but wiping at them nonetheless with your little lip tuckered in as Daddy reminded you that you knew all along that we really couldn't keep all of them. You requested to keep one---the brown eyed striped kitten (It was just this week when you noticed that indeed they were not twins. One striped kitten has brown eyes and the other has green eyes---you studied them and kept asking me about eye color until we held them side by side and deciphered that indeed they were each unique.).

After dinner, I was thankful for the quiet time to work on your turkey so that you could have it turned in on time at school. As we sat down at the kitchen table to work on it, you were super excited as you remembered, "Mommy, Mommy on the last day of school, I get to be the leader and bring the Dino bag home!" I wasn't sure if the 'last day' meant before Thanksgiving break so I asked you and reminded you that we'd be out of town. Tears. "Mommy, I want to go. You can come early and pick me up when we are lining up so that I can bring the dino bag home!" Thankful for the desire you have grown to have for preschool and time with your friends/teacher. And your creative touch to your turkey....I admit that the pink snowflakes were the closest art materials within arm's reach tonight but when you saw how we'd glue them on the turkey, you said, "Wait Mommy, I know what we can use!" and you made a beeline for your playroom! Was I surprised!?! No. Since it is covered in trinkets and treasure that you collect from everywhere we go. And yes...since I didn't know what that little mind of yours was thinking. You came back with some glass beads that we didn't use but the oval, red treasure from your Disney jewels was perfect. You opted to use it for the turkey's beard (not sure what the correct name for this is). And it was the best part of your turkey creation--------thankful for your creative mind! 

Turkey, turkey time---ready for the preschool's show & tell!
A red jewel---Sophia's perfect creative touch!!
As the evening's end approached, I watched Daddy and you play......"Daddy, are you ready to play!?!" You had him dressed in your Greek belly dancer skirt, fairy wings, and pirate hat---a pink purse and more! He entertained you before bedtime and I was most thankful again for the simplicity of dress-up clothes, playtime with Daddy, and his willingness to give you the desires of your heart. And if I sat here and thought and thought, I know that I'd think of a thousand more fleeting moments that I'd could count as thanks....the way you laughed when the pink lid rolled off the marker after you put it on, the pinch of the Evergreen tree that you brought home from Kroger, your owl purse slung over your hip at Kroger as you said you'd pay for our bananas...only to have a little yellow bead roll across the floor....that you chased as the lady behind us smiled and waited patiently.......the way you tired from playing outside this afternoon and said, "I'm ready to go inside!".....your first taste of a real cranberry and little question, "Does it have seeds inside!?!"....the desire to take pictures with your little red camera (that I promise to have ready for you today).......the belief that you'll get everything you told Ms. Marnie you wanted for Christmas........the additions to your Christmas list tonight.......the way you intently listened to bedtime stories and curled up with your baby blankets x 3. There's never an end to what I can be thankful for......and as I look back on today, I can only say that all I need is more of this....more time with my little turkey that gobbles--------and as Dr. P said on Tuesday, "She's always happy!"

A Thankful Leaf
Thankful that you love to write: I love CTA (cat)!

Most thankful.......

I love you little turkey!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment