Thursday, June 19, 2014

Standby

Our summer vacation to Greece began with standby tickets with no specific date to depart. The Wednesday after your birthday party, we were packed but one piece of luggage was yet to be zipped! With a phone call late that night, I hurriedly stuffed the rest of what I thought we needed in Greece into your luggage---and zipped it closed! Luckily, we didn't leave! I was already on the verge of tired from all the summer showers, birthday affairs, and the unknowns of travel. Thursday rolled around and Friday----and contents began spilling out of our luggage again. I felt that our standby flight date was approaching so everything made it's way from Mommy's bedroom to the kitchen. You even woke up Saturday morning saying that you didn't want to leave Daddy behind but with a full day to play, we kept busy so as not to fret that we were leaving behind all that we loved to find the simplicity in all that we enjoy and love in Greece. Saturday was a whirlwind of lunch in Jackson, shopping, coffee time, coupon deals/steals, swimming, dinner and more----a mix of untamed tears for "I'm going to miss Daddy!" Finally, the night's slumber whisked you away but the early hours of Sunday morning arrived. We had Daddy's truck packed. He was our driver all the way to St. Louis, the city that was accommodating getting us to New York in time for our flight out of JFK. We had business class seats awaiting for us----or so we thought they were ours!?! Within ten to fifteen minutes of arriving at the gate, the plane had one seat remaining for a standby customer and it wasn't TEAM US!?! Hunger was next on my personal agenda----on yours!?! Well, you wanted to know if Daddy was picking us up! We were in JFK so it was too far to call for backup. I counted our joy as we ordered a few dishes to devour before a phone call from Pete. A quick note of a flight to Belgium with a connecting flight hours later. Did I agree!?! I didn't have a plan B so Mommy agreed. We stood in line waiting for flight plans to change. Two hours later, we were rerouted to Brussels and within 30 minutes after that we were issued our seats on an semi-empty plane to Brussels. I relaxed a little as I saw you approach a little girl your age, Anna to play with as we waited to board. Anna and you were both six. She was traveling alone to meet her grandfather in Belgium. When we walked down the aisle to board our plane, you made sure that I knew: "Mommy, I never want to fly alone!" I laughed in delight and pulled you close reassuring you that hopefully you never have to---continuously counting the joy that had unfolded that I couldn't even keep at the tip of my mind in lieu of searching for the most current boarding pass and information that I needed!?! We boarded on our second Delta flight of the day. As we settled into our seats, we requested Anna to come sit with us so that she wouldn't be alone. Snacks....the Lego Movie...Frozen...bathroom breaks....dinner.....I spent more time with my eyes shut on this flight because you were so comfortable playing, talking to Anna or just observing her, watching movies and more....I don't eat on the plane except for dry nuts and crackers---and water so as not to mix foods while traveling. I caught myself wanting to throw in the towel but I was gathering strength from a six year old flying solo and from my six year old, you---your endless questions. I had to be strong. One. Two. Three hours of shut eye for you before we had to depart the plane. Eight hours at Brussels airport. One cart moving us about the airport. Two bags lost in transit. They didn't follow us. A play area at the airport that entertained you. A bench for a two hour nap!?! A juice bar for energy before departing for Corfu. Of the dozens of times I have flown in to Greece, I have never flown in to an island! What a change!?! I had stayed the night many times in Corfu on business trips with my friend, Anthoula. However, I couldn't remember not one name of a hotel. My think tank went into overdrive. As we departed the aircraft after sleeping for another two hours, I thought about leaving the island with the last boat out! We were arriving at 10:20 at night so if luck was on our side, we wouldn't be standing-by!?! A most helpful gentleman behind the tourist and information desk was able to assure us that the last boat out was at 12:30a.m. We hailed a taxi and were dropped off at the port. One little ticket booth and a sandwich shop remained open within walking distance for a tired Mommy with too many carry-on bags---three!?! One backpack housed my laptop and odds-n-ends! One backpack housed your games and books---blankets and jacket. One bag housed my camera and flash!?! And one doll.......and YOU. I wasn't moving. I mustered up the energy to eat a sandwich and entertain you giving praise to the MOST HIGH for getting us home safely. Almost home....one phone call to Mom & Dad (Yiayia & Papou) to travel from the village to Igoumenitsa to pick us up. It was a late night for them and for us but they arrived minutes before our boat made it to shore. You beamed at the sparkling lights that twinkled for the shore as we made our way through the sea. I sensed your excitement of the magic of memories. Your delight in what you remembered from last summer in Greece. Twinkling lights....little houses.....a car ride full of love and a bowl of fresh fruit cut up for the two of us to enjoy....another nap sitting up and a bed to stretch out on at our family home. We slept from three that morning to three in the afternoon---and you until four when I woke you. Our luggage remains lost---standing by for us to find or for the next flight out I suppose!?! Many, many calls to Delta and Swissport to help locate them----one red luggage is flying to Ioannina this evening and our pink luggage is still in transit. The computer says it is in JFK but the lady that I spoke to this morning says that she sees no trace of it! For now we won't lose hope that it's lost, we'll standby as we wait it's arrival too. Today is our third day in the village and you've already settled in into enjoying the simplicity of the village. You're enjoying siesta while Mommy's writing and I'm thinking....reflecting about all the little hidden joys of our standby trip....Andrea and Guy that spoke to you because you looked like a dancer standing tall and alert at the airport in St. Louis, the way you whispered aloud, "Mommy, shouldn't we ask them their names!?!", Daddy driving us to the airport in St. Louis---us driving him crazy, him driving us crazy, our wishes/want list, his wishes/want list, the reality of our lives...a little crazy, fully blessed....the little girl, Anna, traveling alone, you sharing a light up ring from the bag of red,white, and blue treasures Mrs. Polly gave to you for your birthday, the bottles of water gifted to us in flight, the extra leg room on the longest flight...room to stretch out on the last flight, your eagerness to enjoy the escalators, elevators, boat, bus, airplane, the stewardess that allowed you to say, "Thank you for flying Delta!" on our first plane.........the pilot who showed you his seat and flight room, you surprising Mommy by asking who his co-pilot is!?! So I reminded a friend to remind me never to fly standby again---she said I will because I'm too frugal and so the story goes....always saving and stretching what we have to have more of simplicity........so maybe we will fly around the world again to standby and uncover the mounting unexpected moments of joy in our lives.

Sophia watching the planes leave JFK as we STANDBY!?!
Standby reflections of hanging out with the best little travel partner ever! You never dragged your feet or complained. I heard, "Come on, Mommy" more than anything if I don't count, "I miss Daddy!" You amaze me. You move forward and seek the pleasure in your life with that little tug at your heart for all that you love and leave behind....one foot in motion...the other foot in standby mode.....relishing the simplicty of today's blessings at home......

.......and as we venture into summer vacation may God's blessings cover each jumping, zooming, zig-zagging leap that you take. I'm following your endless energy until we standby again on our way back home!

I love you little traveler!

XOXOXO

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment